Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Purpose Became Clear

Why are we going? That was a question I received many times this last semester from friends and classmates as I was preparing for this trip. Why are we here? That is a question that I have received many times from friends and colleagues we have met since arriving in Barbados. My answer has varied many times, highlighting different aspects of the trip depending on the context of the conversation. Today, my purpose became clear...and it was not what I had expected.

Today I have spent the morning talking with Ms. Lynch and Ms. Pollard with the University of the West Indies. I had envisioned the morning as a question and answer session about their orientation programs. I would be asking the questions and they would be providing the answers. What the session evolved into was a dialogue about not only orientation but student services and student development in general. It was very interesting to listen as they talked about the struggle between academic competency, social engagement, and holistic student development. Even in a country with an educational system far different from that of America, they too are racking their brains on ways to solve the same problems we have. To barrow the words of a colleague here on the island, education is bridge connecting everyone in the global village. The world just hasn't figured out best way to travel yet.

Ms. Lynch, Ms. Pollard, and all the amazing staff of the Student Services Department here wear many hats and juggle multiple balls in the air. Just listening to them recount the areas they are responsible for made my head swim. They have been so generous in giving us their time and candid thoughts. I thought I was coming here to offer my ideas to them, little do they know how much they have helped me. Talking with the ladies here at UWI has really opened my eyes to so many things. I have an excitement and eagerness to travel to other countries and examine their education system, bringing back knowledge that can aid me both professionally and personally.

Toree Parrish, 2nd Year Graduate Student

No comments: